Saturday, June 27, 2009

Relationships: A Mess Worth Making

The more we continue to dive into this culture, the more at home it feels. I am almost to the point where I feel that I might be "manipulating" the Lord into giving me some kind of reassurance that I am suppossed to be here forever and who knows that might happen (don't get upset Mom and Dad). As much as I am loving being here, alot of my feelings probably have to do with the fact that this is an "escape" from the realities of home where school, work, family, and other relationships consume my every thoughts and feelings. It is so very convicting that it takes being in a missionary "bubble" to slow it down and make intentional time for the Lord. And the even more convicting thought is that even while I am in this missionary "bubble" it is still so very hard to make intentional time for the Lord. We get caught up in our to- do lists for the day: when do we have to wake up, when are we eating, when do I have time to blog and check facebook, when am I going to run, when AM I GOING TO BED!!! During our group bible studies we have been studying Corinthians, and a discussion popped up about how the Lord is jealous for our time with him. To be able to pour into these people with every ounce of our being involves being fed and having intentional time with Him. Whether at home in my regular routine or in Greece doing the Lord's work, it is a struggle everyday for me to give up that time. The past two days we have been in Kalemos doing manual labor for the camps that are starting up on Monday. We had been asked to go over early Friday morning, spend the night, and we just arrived home an hour ago from another long day's work. It was a frustrating couple of days: no to-do lists, idle time followed by extremely busy times, language barrier, bad attitudes (I was number one), sleeping with bugs, raccoons eating our food, questions on whether we would eat or not, hot weather turned into extremely cold weather, doing the same job over and over because we did the jobs backwards, cold showers, and the list goes on and on. So Ron gathered us together Friday night for a little "talk". He read Phillipians 2:14 "Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain." That was hard to hear after a day of grumbling from myself and the others. It was a silent discussion as you could see the wheels turning in everyone's head. We had wasted that day, all the work that we had done had been in vain with selfess ambition (at least for myself). I got caught up in the disorganization and the repetitition of it all that I had not done it for the glory of the Lord (it was joyless). This morning as we rolled out of bed bug-infested, showerless, back's aching, and hungry we gathered together to read Phillipians before the day's work began. It was refreshing to start our morning out right with our gaze focused in the right direction. Broom and spray paint cans in hand, we began to whistle while we worked as if the disorganization and repitition meant nothing. I am not going to say that near the end of the day we weren't still grumbling and tired but we had not wasted the day. We had done it for the glory of the Lord and not out of selfish ambition.

On a lighter note the past week has been extremely encouraging to me. I have had an opportunity to meet some incredible people and actually build relationships (which is a big deal coming from a person who has had pretty much the same group of friends my entire life). My days of the fish pond have been retired (because this week the festivals have been focused on playing games with the older kids). So we had some options of what we could do: face paint, balloon-making, hanging out with some of the older kids, or just walk around the park and try and strike up discussions with various people. I am not artistic, the only thing I can make with a balloon is a deformed animal-looking thing, and the boys had playing with the older kids covered. So, non-relational me was sent to strike up conversations around the park (language barrier still an issue). I ended up gravitating to the older men (like 70+). The same old men had been sitting at these park benches just hanging out every since we started going to the festivals. They always interested me because they were always there, no kids or wives, but just sat around. They didn't really talk to eachother, they didn't laugh, they just sat. So I stepped out on a limb and walked over to one of the benches (consisting of about 4 or 5 old Greek men). As confused looks were pasted all over their faces, I began to talk in my broken Greek language. Te Kanes (How are you) I asked.......in response "Kalla (Good)"............silence............stares..........awkwardness. Right as I was about to escape from the extremely awkward conversation I had ignorantly started, one of the Greek men started talking to me in English (like a voice from an angel). My eyes brightened up and I started playing the 50 questions game with this poor old man (he did not know what he had gotten himself into). His name was Costas (Gus in America) and he had lived in Toronto for 15 years as a maintenance worker in a hospital. I asked him every question imaginable and he did the same. To put it all in a nutshell this old man is my favorite. I met him on Tuesday of last week and everyday after that we have met up to talk (same place, same time.....he has to be gone by 8 to get to dinner on time). After I felt that I had built a pretty good relationship with him, I finally asked him about his religion (I had to be careful because it is illegal to Protestantalize in Greece, and most of the older generations are devout Orthodox). He responded that he had lost his religion and he only goes to church on Christmas and Easter because of his family. Broke my heart to think of such an old man so close to the end of his life that he had no hope in life or death. I did not get to elaborate on this conversation because the night was close to an end but will see him again on Tuesday (so be praying that I have intentional conversations with him). He asks everyday when we will be back and when we will get to talk again (so I know he enjoys speaking with me). I know this has been a long blog but just hoped to share a few thoughts about this past week. If you have any questions or would like to be sent a photo album of our trip so far feel free to email us at austenandcaroline@gmail.com.

God Bless,
Caroline Weatherly

No comments:

Post a Comment